Chair: Derek Miller
Our long-standing Career Development activities can be found on our Career Events page, and be sure to check out the Calendar on the main page for upcoming events. The OACD website also holds a wealth of information on workshops and seminars (see sidebar content), and other general information for postdocs.
The Career Development Committee is also kicking off the Postdoc Career Club, which will be hosting a series of career development events. Check out the Career Club page for career development resources and a list of career-related events.
Check out the University of Pittsburgh Innovation Institute, the University's hub for innovation and entrepreneurship, for resources about services for Pitt innovators, workshops, educational programming, mentoring, and networking.
Check out the Pitt Professional Development Consortium, a student and postdoctoral group comprised of several Pitt organizations aimed at providing resources for trainees in the Health Sciences.
NEW! Did you miss the previous Science Writing Opportunity? Do not fear! We have another opportunity available - Rescuing Biomedical Science is seeking grad students and postdocs interested in pursuing a career in science policy. Writers will work with Chris Pickett, Director of RBR, to write three posts for the RBR blog over a two-month period. The goal of the program is to give young scientists a feel for how to write about important policy issues and to prepare them for a policy career. For more information, check out their webpage here.
Foundations of Successful Career Planning and Development Course: Postdocs are encouraged to enroll in this unique career planning course taught by Steve Wendell. This course focuses on fostering life-long career management habits, maximizing your scholarly training success, and shaping positive career outcomes. Stay tuned for info regarding course offerings for Fall 2017. For more information about this course, click here.
- BioBreakfast: BioBreakfast is a weekly gathering of individuals in the Pittsburgh life sciences sector from 8-10 am every Tuesday at the Pittsburgh Technology Council on Technology Drive. For more information about BioBreakfast, visit their website here.
Postdoc Career Club: A peer-to-peer CV/resume event will be held on June 2nd at the Wyndham lounge on campus. Check out the flyer for details.
Looking for a job in Pittsburgh? NEXT Pittsburgh lists job postings every Monday and Thursday. Check out their website for current listings. Career information can also be found at Imagine Pittsburgh. Looking for a job in the health sciences outside of Pittsburgh? Sign up to become a member of The Dropout Club, the networking website for doctors and scientists seeking innovative careers.
Interested in a job in academia but need more resources? Check out BestColleges.com's Education Career Guide.
- NEW! Disruptyx, a global leader in applying decision heuristics science to insights and marketing in the pharmaceutical world, is seeking 2-3 part-time or full time interns with an understanding of the Pharmaceutical industry and the ability to evaluate Clinical Trials data for different drugs. This is a 6-week paid internship for the period of Dec/Jan with a flexible start date. Interns will be involved in facilitating and driving Business Development Strategy with the CEO and middle management. For more information, check out their flyer here.
- NEW! It's one again that time of year when the L'Oreal USA For Women in Science Fellowship opens. The application submission opens TOMORROW, November 28th, and will last until February 3rd, 2017. Click here for more information about this fellowship.
- NEW! The Dannon Company is pleased to announce its 5thDannon Gut Microbiome, Yogurt and Probiotics Fellowship Grant. As part of their continued commitment to support scientists and advance research of the gut microbiome, The Dannon Company is offering two grants of $25,000 each to undergraduate, graduate or postdoctoral scholars to enhance their academic path. Grant applications are now being accepted, and must be submitted by February 15, 2017 to qualify. For additional information, qualification requirements, and to download a copy of the application, please click here: http://www.dannon.com/fellowship-application/
- bioStratics Internship: Part-time job opportunity with bioStratica for Project Managers and Innovation Associates for the Pittsburgh Health Data Alliance. bioStratica is a specialty strategic marketing firm focused on academic translational development intersecting biotechnology, healthcare information systems, and medicine. For more information, see the flyer here.
- Hayes Contractors is seeking individuals to fill a medical research writer/analyst position. For more information, click here.
- NEW! The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) is seeking a talented scientist interested in biomedical research to join the Science Translational Medicine editorial team in Washington DC. For more information about this opportunity, visit the AAS website here.
- Biomedical Researcher position at The Jackson Laboratory: The Jackson Laboratory is looking for a talented and motivated biomedical researcher (with or without post-doctoral experience) who is passionate about science but is looking for a career away from the bench. Find out how you can join our team and explore several potential career paths while gaining experience solving problems, providing scientific advice, creating presentations, writing for the web, recognizing technical sales opportunities, leading projects, and providing excellent customer support. The role of Technical Information Scientist provides opportunities in all of these areas in addition to giving ample opportunities to travel to deliver seminars, meet with researchers, and attend trade shows. For more information, click here.
- Looking for career opportunities outside of academia? AchieveBio recruiting is seeking PhD level scientists with a background in immunology and bench experience with cell isolation techniques for sales (local) and bench (various locations) positions. For more information or to send your CV, contact Jodi.