Jump to navigation
Executive Board Positions
Executive Board Responsibilities
- Chair and preside over any Extraordinary General Meetings (EGMs).
- Chair and preside over Executive Board meetings and Faculty Advisory Board (FAB) meetings.
- Present a report to the Membership at each EGM.
- Coordinate the running of the UPPDA.
- Act as official representative of the UPPDA to the University and external (outside the University) officials and parties.
- Maintain the professional image of the UPPDA.
- Serve as the official UPPDA contact for the Faculty Advisory Board.
- Serve as the focal point for fundraising efforts
- Authorize and verify all expenditures.
- Prepare an annual budget to be submitted for University approval.
- Represent the UPPDA by serving on the Senate Council.
- Provide activity updates to the Executive Board and, when appropriate, OACD or other University bodies.
- Participate on the National Postdoctoral Association Advocacy Committee
- Work with the OACD on advocacy issues for postdocs at the local level
- Conduct necessary background research and draft proposals for change to present to senior university administrators
- Coordinate and schedule EB Meetings and EGMs.
- Write and distribute the minutes of all Executive Board meetings and EGMs.
- Assume the responsibilities of the President when the President is absent.
- Recruit UPPDA members to fill senate committee seats
Career Development Chair
- Coordinate all activities and events related to professional development (e.g. Data & Dine Symposium)
- Organize postdoctoral career fairs
- Identify, advertise and execute new career/ training opportunities for postdocs
- Maintain the Pitt Postdoctoral Network page on LinkedIn
- Coordinate all events for Postdoctoral Appreciation Week
- Coordinate Happy Hour social gathering per year
- Coordinate all external/volunteer activities of the UPPDA
- Work with the University Center for Teaching and Learning and local schools and colleges to promote teaching development initiatives for postdocs
- Assume the responsibilities of the Communications Chair when the Communications chair is absent. The Networking Chair will have access to all email, website, and social media accounts.
- Advertise and notify the Membership of upcoming EGMs.
- Generate flyers, advertisements, and registration links for events
- Keep an updated distribution list of Postdoctoral Professionals at the University
- Ultimate responsibility for keeping the website, YouTube channel and Facebook page up to date
- Field emails from the UPPDA account and forward them to the appropriate committee member or OACD official.
- Collaborate with the Office of International Service (OIS) and large ethnic student organizations on campus
- Host seminars yearly for international postdocs
- Maintain content for an International Page on the UPPDA Website, which would include resources specific to international postdocs
- Serve (with committee members) as point of contact for international postdocs seeking information or assistance
Diversity and Inclusion Chair
- Collaborate with the Office of Diversity
- Host events related to diversity and inclusion
- Maintain content for a Diversity and Inclusion page on the UPPDA Website, which would include resources specific to diversity and inclusion
- Serve as chair (or co-chair) of UPPDA’s Diversity and Inclusion sub-committee and point of contact for all diversity and inclusion issues
Duties Common to All Positions
- Perform other duties as deemed necessary by the Executive Board.
- Present a report to the Membership detailing the actions of the UPPDA and Executive Board as required
- Provide content to the Communications Chair for regular website/social media updates
- Promote engagement of UPPDA members, provide a pathway for University of Pittsburgh Postdoctoral Associates/Scholars, or Research Associates to serve as committee members
- Serve on at least one senate committee of their choosing
As a whole, the Executive Board works towards planning the major events sponsored by the UPPDA, including:
- Monthly P2P Events
- Annual Data & Dine Symposium (May)
- Fall Picnic (September)
- Science 20XX Career Symposium (October)
- Immigration Seminar (with OIS)
- New activities!