Dr. Melissa Bilec, PhD, LEED AP, Associate Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, has been selected to win the 2016 UPPDA Mentor Award. She was nominated by one of her postdocs, and had exceptionally strong letters of support from former trainees and current colleagues. The award is is modeled after the NPA Mentor Award, and recognizes a faculty member who has engaged in exceptional mentoring of postdoctoral scholars as exhibited by the following:
- Advocates for postdoctoral scholars.
- Is accessible and provides open lines of communication to postdoctoral scholars.
- Creates a supportive environment for research and shows respect for postdocs' goals and assists them in fulfilling those goals.
- Provides guidance in professional development, including encouraging the use of NPA Core Competencies for self-assessment and guidance, completing an individual development plan, and assisting postdocs in building a professional network through generous sharing of contacts.
- Demonstrates a sustained commitment to creating a productive working environment that enhances the overall postdoctoral experience.
Dr. Bilec will be honored at this year's Data & Dine Symposium, and will be nominated for the 2017 NPA Mentor Award. We thank Dr. Bilec to her dedication to postdoctoral training!